0

Trax - 오! 나의 여신님


"Gimme gimme more, gimme more, gimme gimme more." I don't really mean to quote Britney Spears in a Trax post, but the fact of the matter is that I am head over heels for their latest mini-album 오! 나의 여신님 (Oh! My Goddess). I just can't get enough of it, so the whole give me more sentiment works well here.

Fans who have followed the group since their debut will tell you that this is somewhat a new and different sound from them. For a band that started out as heavy rock with hints of metal, it's like watching devils turn into angels. Though I do miss the old Trax I can understand their motives for evolution. Unlike their first mini-album which was mellow in vibe, this one brings more gungho. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the ballads in that album, and the jazzy feel of my favorite track "아직은 나 (I Can Change)," I just prefer this mini's excitement. It's a great power booster.

Pop is in and it's currently ruling the charts in Korea. Therefore it shouldn't be a surprise that Trax has veered into the Pop Rock genre to regain its footing after several band changes. Tracks "Let's Play" and "Rush" have the semblance of American group Maroon 5's sound. It's funky and edgy rolled into one.

We're given two slow tempo songs, "없는 사람 (Everlasting Story)" and "자기야 (Honey)". The former is a nice ballad in that it does not get overly dramatic. I like how string and piano elements were utilized later giving way to the guitar and drums to help bring out the song's climax. Having a particular affinity for "자기야," I love how it starts out softly with just the acoustic guitar to compliment lead singer Jay's vocals. It eventually picks up mid-song with the addition of a full band giving it a punk rock feel à la Green Day.

"태양의 노래 (Running My Way)", is also a particular favorite of mine and the lyrics are a perfect match for the song. I can totally hear this as a power anthem for a newly anointed hero in a feel good movie. This comes in a close second to my favorite of favorites. The title track, "오! 나의 여신님 (Oh! My Goddess)", is completely addicting and catchy. The hook does its job of raking you in. Thankfully the computerized segments aren't overwhelming and instead adds interesting affects that enhance the song.

The Trax's second mini-album has quite the western influence, but its done well unlike some K-pop groups out there today. If this doesn't get them noticed then I don't know what will. Hopefully this latest release will shoot this underrated band into super stardom.

Released: September 6, 2010
Label: SM Entertainment
Tracklist:
01. 오! 나의 여신님 (Oh! My Goddess)
02. Let's Play
03. 자기야 (Honey)
04. Rush
05. 없는 사람 (Everlasting Story)
06. 태양의 노래 (Running My Way)
Originality Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Quality Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Entertainment Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

0 comments:

Post a Comment





Creative Commons License
The work by Hallyu Review is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
.
Based on work at hallyureview.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting the site administrator at hallyureview@gmail.com.