0

2PM - Still 02:00PM


I'm really glad 2PM confirmed for us that they are Still 02:00PM, as indicated by their newest mini-album. We all know that 2PM sounds way better than 1:59PM anyways. Not that I'm holding a grudge or anything. I'm over all the 2PM vs. Jay Park drama. Life goes on and we move on, but don't you think the title could have used more creativity?

In fact the whole mini-album could have used a little bit more. I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed in this as much as I was disappointed in their 3rd Single album, Don't Stop Can't Stop. It's all more of the same thing and no growth equals frustration and boredom.

Most intros don't really do anything for me unless it's epic and "Still" is no exception. Although it leads us into the title track there's really nothing there to critique. "I'll Be Back," once a famous line from the Hollywood cult classic, The Terminator, now lends itself to 2PM's latest dance number. It reeks of typical JYP pop song elements and its upbeat chorus is bound to get stuck in your head after a listen or two. A recurring theme I have for this album is its lack of spark and excitement. There is nothing that makes this song any more unique than the rest out there, so its impact as the main song is kind of non-existent. The club mix isn't any better and didn't really improve it either.

"니가 나를 떠나도 (Even If You Leave Me)" is really pleasing. The background sound affects blends well with the song and I find myself categorizing it as techno mixed with easy listening. However my favorite is actually "I Can't". It's beautiful to listen to as it has a great melody and the acoustic really brings out the lighter, softer aspects of the boys' voices. Even the members with less vocal ability are made to sound almost angelic.

If I could recommend a song for a new 2pm cf campaign it would probably be "I Know," because it resembles all their other cf songs. Anyone have any product suggestions?

Ahh yes... last and my least favorite, "Dance2Night." Something tells me I would have liked this song if it were the 90's but as a young woman of the 21st century there is just something about this that irks me. Don't get me wrong, I love old school but it makes me wonder if I would have felt the same way had JYP released this song. I probably would have forgiven him for this track and attributed the lackluster music to his age and style.

Overall I'm left in want of more. Not only more for us fans, but more for 2PM themselves. Sure they may be one of the top K-Pop boy groups, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for releasing an average type of album.

Released: October 11, 2010
Label: JYP Entertainment
Tracklist:
01. Still
02. I'll Be Back
03. 니가 나를 떠나도 (Even If You Leave Me)
04. I Can't
05. I Know
06. Dance2Night
07. I'll Be Back (Club Mix)
Originality Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
Quality Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
Entertainment Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

0 comments:

Post a Comment





Creative Commons License
The work by Hallyu Review is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
.
Based on work at hallyureview.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting the site administrator at hallyureview@gmail.com.